About Hamba Africa
Hamba Africa is dedicated to providing affordable and uniquely personal travel experiences to those who want to make a valuable and active contribution to conservation. We offer you the chance to volunteer, learn new skills, and have an adventure or gap year holiday of a lifetime.
Who are we?
Travellers who already know South Africa will also know that its inspiration and impact is felt long after departure. For those who have yet to experience it firsthand, you have much to look forward to.
Our name “Hamba” comes from the local Zulu and Siswati languages, and simply means “Go” or “Travel”. We chose it because encouraging people to travel in Africa is exactly what we do.
We are owned and run by passionate conservationists and safari guides, and we create unique travel packages and an authentic South African experience.
Hamba Africa was founded with the belief that the more people who get to explore this magical country, the better. We want you to feel inspired, to learn, become empowered by its natural beauty, and understand how vital it is that these environments are safeguarded and preserved for the future. We welcome you to Hamba Africa.
We have two main goals:
- To provide travellers with an incredible experience, and enable them to explore some of the best of Southern Africa's natural beauty, terrain, culture and exciting activities.
- To make a real difference; to get people actively involved in conservation and the protection of nature; to inspire and teach valuable skills to prepare people for wherever their journey may lead them next.
What makes us special?
Our commitment and support towards you!
For all of you, the experience, knowledge and practical skills that you will gain on this adventure will be unforgettable, and great fun. For many, this trip will be completely life-changing.
You will be given the opportunity to explore and develop your own conservation ideas and implement your own programmes and projects.
Hamba Africa will help you discover and develop your own ambitions and success.
Who travels with us?
Who do we work with?
Hamba Africa is primarily aimed towards students and young adults (aged 18-30 years). This includes gap-year travellers, students, graduates, postgraduates and new or seasoned travellers from every walk of life.
Although English is the language of instruction, we are a welcoming and embracing organisation where diversity and ethnicity is celebrated.
We are very fortunate to work and collaborate with local conservation groups and experts who share our goal of protecting animals and the environment.
This allows us to get on board and provide much-needed support to their projects. Together, we believe we can achieve something greater.
For more in-depth information about these organisations please visit our programme page.
Why choose us?
- We have unique hands-on experience working in the Kruger National Park and its surrounding provinces of Limpopo and Mpumalanga, and a first-hand understanding of the local culture and environment.
- Our knowledge and expertise in wildlife conservation, combined with our passion for travel, means we are perfectly positioned to create a journey that is packed with excitement and new learning experiences for you.
- We will ensure that you take an active role in conservation projects which will be uniquely fulfilling and inspiring. We will teach you valuable transferable skills that will stay with you for life.
- The Hamba team will be there to support you every step of the journey, from your initial enquiry, to planning your individual package and itinerary and throughout your exciting stay.
We are committed to keeping our packages as cost-effective and competitively priced as possible, in order to offer the Hamba experience to as many people as possible.
We are committed to continuous conservation investment. Profits will be channelled back into our conservation programmes, the programmes of organisations we are involved with and the various rural communities and projects that we support in South Africa.
Keeping your booking secure
Hamba Africa is a proud member of the TTA (Travel Trust Association Ltd). This means that every pound, euro, dollar or ruble you pay is 100% financially secure.
Your booking is guaranteed to deliver exactly what is promised.
Where are we based?
Our UK headquarters are based in the stunning Forest of Dean in Lydney, Gloucester.
From here, our team will contact you to help plan your booking and coordinate group events with you across the UK, giving you the opportunity to meet your fellow travellers ahead of your big adventure.